Thursday, November 11, 2010

There’s always tomorrow…. (part 2)


That became my life motto – and I had no idea until someone put it into words for me.

When left my job (back in April 2007, remember?), I had visions of becoming a world-renown author, with a side-business of internet-renown sewing. However, those visions are certainly taking a LONG TIME to come to pass!

The first week began slowly and life became instantly sluggish. I told myself I was recharging after holding such a physically strenuous job for 1 ½ years. Well, my 'recharging' continued…for the better part of a month.

Between treatments for my shoulder, reactions to new medications, moving, and constant suffering from migraines and Fibromyalgia, I was chock full of excuses for why I wasn't accomplishing…well….anything. I constantly renewed my vow to better myself, physically, spiritually, mentally and financially – but it rarely lasted more than a week or two. I had no motivation to keep myself going.

My old boss, from the equestrian center, called me about 6 months ago to invite me to a barbecue with 'all the guys'. I couldn't go (for some reason that I can't remember now), but chatted with her for a while, telling her what I was up to lately. It seems I blabbed for a good 5 minutes and by then end of my blabbing, I had said nothing. That's when I realized it and just got a little quiet. My boss, being a wise and experienced woman of the 'way-the-world-works', says to me, "There's always tomorrow, right?"

That hit me so hard, I don't even remember the end of our conversation. I sat quiet for the longest time pondering this after I hung up the phone (I hope I said goodbye). She summed up my previous unproductive days in one little sentence. I realized I had been using that excuse from day one! Why do it today? Why do it now? I'm not working, I don't have any pressing plans - and tomorrow is the same.


There's always tomorrow…..

Once I realized that I got more done in my life when I had a work schedule, I tried to find another job. HAH! Not only are there so few available, but none of them even seemed to follow through. God was up to something; I am convinced He had something to do with the non-response.

I have accepted my lot in life as a 'homemaker' (which is still weird to write down in the slot that says 'Occupation?') and am moving forward. I have a schedule now –very strict schedule where I reward my productiveness with a few hours of 'fun-time'. When I am unproductive, or get off my schedule, I punish myself with cleaning the baseboards or ironing (YUCK!). So everything eventually gets done.

I still have some days (or weeks…) where I don't do ANYTHING AT ALL….until Scott has no clothes left to wear and there is not a clean cup in the house. I have good excuses for those days too! But I am a work in progress – and God has plans for my life (just wish He would inform me).

I am dedicating as much time as I can to others. People that I don't want to spend time with, going to church more often because I know they need the help, and not procrastinating the things I hate to do (dishes!!!!) I still have my dreams to be a published writer and I still sell a few hand-made things here and there in my online shop. So mark another 'First Day' in the book - I am learning how to live all over again.. And it's taking forever. But…there's always tomorrow….

"Honor her for all that her hands have done,
   and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."
The Proverbs 31 Woman
my role-model

No comments:

Post a Comment